Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Coaxial Cable Connectors



Unless you have operated a 10Base-2 or 10Base-5 Ethernet network, you are probably familiar only with the coaxial connectors you have in your home for use with televisions and video equipment. Actually, a number of different types of coaxial connectors exist.

F-Series Coaxial Connectors

The coax connectors used with video equipment are referred to as F-series connectors (shown in Figure 1). The F-connector consists of a ferrule that fits over the outer jacket of the cable and is crimped in place. The center conductor is allowed to project from the connector and forms the business end of the plug. A threaded collar on the plug screws down on the jack, forming a solid connection. F-connectors are used primarily in residential installations for RG-58, RG-59, and RG-6 coaxial cables to provide CATV, security-camera, and other video services.

 
Figure 1: The F-type coaxial-cable connector
F-connectors are commonly available in one-piece and two-piece designs. In the two-piece design, the ferrule that fits over the cable jacket is a separate sleeve that you slide on before you insert the collar portion on the cable. Experience has shown us that the single-piece design is superior. Fewer parts usually means less fumbling, and the final crimped connection is both more aesthetically pleasing and more durable. However, the usability and aesthetics are largely a function of the design and brand of the two-piece product. Some two-piece designs are very well received by the CATV industry.
A cheaper F-type connector available at some retail outlets attaches to the cable by screwing the outer ferrule onto the jacket instead of crimping it in place. These are very unreliable and pull off easily. Their use in residences is not recommended, and they should never be used in commercial installations.

N-Series Coaxial Connectors

The N-connector is very similar to the F-connector but has the addition of a pin that fits over the center conductor; the N-connector is shown in Figure 2. The pin is suitable for insertion in the jack and must be used if the center conductor is stranded instead of solid. The assembly is attached to the cable by crimping it in place. A screw-on collar ensures a reliable connection with the jack. The N-type connector is used with RG-8, RJ-11U, and thicknet cables for data and video backbone applications.

 
Figure 2: The N-type coaxial connector

The BNC Connector

When coaxial cable distributes data in commercial environments, the BNC connector is often used. BNC stands for Bayonet Neill-Concelman, which describes both the method of securing the connection and its inventors. Many other expansions of this acronym exist, including British Naval Connector, Bayonet Nut Coupling, Bayonet Navy Connector, and so forth. Used with RG-6, RG-58A/U thinnet, RG-59, and RG-62 coax, the BNC utilizes a center pin, as in the N-connector, to accommodate the stranded center conductors usually found in data coax.
The BNC connector (shown in Figure 3) comes as a crimp-on or a design that screws onto the coax jacket. As with the F-connector, the screw-on type is not considered reliable and should not be used. The rigid pin that goes over the center conductor may require crimping or soldering in place. The rest of the connector assembly is applied much like an F-connector, using a crimping die made specifically for a BNC connector.
 
Figure 3: The BNC coaxial connector
To secure a connection to the jack, the BNC has a rotating collar with slots cut into it. These slots fit over combination guide and locking pins on the jack. Lining up the slots with the pins, you push as you turn the collar in the direction of the slots. The slots are shaped so that the plug is drawn into the jack, and locking notches at the end of the slot ensure positive contact with the jack. This method allows quick connection and disconnection while providing a secure match of plug and jack.
Be aware that you must buy BNC connectors that match the impedance of the coaxial cable to which they are applied. Most commonly, they are available in 75 ohm and 50 ohm types, with 93 ohm as a less-used option.
Tip 
With all coaxial connectors, be sure to consider the dimensions of the cable you will be using. Coaxial cables come in a variety of diameters that are a function of their transmission properties, series rating, and number of shields and jackets. Buy connectors that fit your cable.

5 comments:

  1. Installing coax cable ends step by step procedure. Installing coax cable ends onto coax cable is rather simple once you get the hang of it.

    TechFlex

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post i was looking for something like this and you gave me what i wanted to know. Coaxial connectors are of different types and we almost use everything.

    Digital Coaxial cable

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete